19 April 2014

Food in Sheffield !

I am a self-proclaimed western food lover. My visit to the UK has been very fruitful to me as I get to try out different western food or delicacies. Costa, a coffee chain which is available in almost every corner of the UK, something like The Coffee Bean in Malaysia. Its drinks were priced a tad cheaper compared to Starbucks in the UK, attracted many students who are a little financially 'constrained'. Still to me, Starbucks tasted better.

Instant coffee cups of Starbucks coffee can even be found in small grocery shops like Sainsbury. And God they were delicious eventhough they are readily-made and doesn't cost a bomb! They (instant Starbucks coffee & Monster energy drinks too) used to keep me awake when I was prepping for my final exam!


I hate how food in the UK reminds us of how many 'sins' we are digesting :(


Ben and Jerry ice cream! I was going gaga over it when it was having a '3 Pounds for two pints' promotion! Similar to Haagen Dazs, I was an addict who are glad that I didn't gain weight after all those sugar-filled ice cream! They were just so cheap (compared to Malaysia) that I couldn't stop myself! I can finish 1 pint in a night!


To my surprise, there were plenty of freebies when it comes to food during my period of stay in Sheffield. Take Graze as an example, everyone can claim for a free box containing four types of (health-conscious) snacks of your choice from its website. A great way of marketing.


Notice the minion toy in the picture above? It was a free toy which comes with every Happy Meal, or get it at 1 Pound. McDonalds UK is actually the most expensive McD compared to McD in other European countries. A set of McD with a drink and fries could cost you almost an average of 4 Pounds. That's RM20 for us!


Yates's located opposite of Sheffield City Hall provided a free cheeseburger with every purchase of beverage! Not bad... but I believe the taste would be better if chilli sauce is provided! *Typical Asian*


KFC in the UK is slightly different because KFC doesn't serve chilli sauce! The best they can provide is spicy mayo in a small plastic sealed sauce box. Spicy fried chicken costs extra too! Thankfully, the chicken is as delicious as in any country. 


You can always go for Chinese food whenever you are feeling a little homesick. 面轩 (Noodle Inn) located in London Road offers scrumptious Chinese cuisine, huge portion but so does the price tag. A (big) plate of fried rice costed us about 7 Pounds, but the portion is big enough for two persons to fill each stomach to its brim! The taste was also comparable to those we can find in Malaysia's high-end restaurant!


Another delicacy at London Road is Kebab by Chino's. For 4 Pounds, the portion is also large enough for two persons. It comes with salad, fried chicken, kebab, prata and chips!


I got to try out a Korean dinner in Ginseng Korean BBQ at Fitzwilliam Street. I seldom have Korean food, so I don't remember what I've ordered that day. Bibimbap? Almost 10 Pounds.


After Chinese, Middle Eastern and Korean food, here comes Mexican food! I forgot its name but I certainly do remember how spicy the sauce was! Around 3 pounds if I'm not mistaken.


When it comes to breakfast, we will certainly think of English breakfast, right? For your info, pie is also a popular food for breakfast in the UK. Here's a cheese pie with beans and fries. 


This is a truly traditional English breakfast, made in the UK, ate in the UK! Bacon, super-size sausage, baked beans, egg, hasbrowns and toasts! You can get this in The Banker's Draft nearby Primark at around 3 Pounds plus.


My friend's Egg Benedict! Also from The Banker's Draft.


This is the best medium well 8oz sirloin steak that I've ever tasted! Served with chips, peas, tomato and mushroom. I'm not a fan of peas but the peas were surprisingly delicious, tasted almost corn-like! The steak was just succulent enough with slight reddish hint on the texture. Shut up and take my money!

Yes, there are plenty of nice food hidden in the alleys or even facing the main streets of Sheffield. All you need to do is explore, eat and eat more while you are in Sheffield. Although I've tried many kinds of food in Sheffield, I still don't think I tried enough! Try out the food that you want to try, or else you'll bring the feeling of regretfulness back to your home country. I would do anything just to have one more meal in the UK in my life......

NEXT - Day trip 5 & 6: Bicester Village & Cheshire Oaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment