10 May 2014

The Unforgettable in Sheffield...

 Many, many fond memories in just a mere 3 months. My study trip to the UK has proven to be fruitful. Experienced happiness and sorrow with friends, shared the stories in the deepest corner of our hearts, My friends know that I'm an addict, McDonalds' addict to be exact! So, on the eve of my birthday, my friends took me out secretly for a supper at McD. We set a time to gather downstairs of our hostel, but they changed all of their Facebook's profile pics into one of my 'atrocious'-looking faces photo while I'm downstairs waiting for them! 

One of the most memorable birthdays I had...

Not knowing they have done that yet (I don't have data plan in the UK), they came down one by one and we headed for a 'walk'. Eventually our last destination is McD, and I know something is up with them! They've ordered few burgers and drinks, their treat, and to the shock of my life, I went online with the help of McD's Wi-Fi, I saw my face are ALL OVER FACEBOOK!

Since we couldn't afford a cake in the UK, so we had burgers to replace cake, accompanied with a birthday song while other people who were having meal in the McD watching! I don't know I want to cry or laugh at that moment, but I'm glad I have a bunch of friends who are willing to sing in the public and sacrifice their FB account to do such a horrible thing haha! 

Next up should be the huge food fest, home-cooked! Done mostly by Chef Darren, the meal has appetiser right up to dessert! While the food is awesome, the most epic must be the photo below, asian at work!

Cooking with friends can be fun too. You get to decide what to cook for dinner, how to cook for dinner and how to mess with the food! Haha! Will never forget how my friends teased me for cutting the luncheon meat into cubes instead of slices! Believe me, there are people out there who cut luncheon meat into cubes too!!!

Another about food is the 8oz sirloin steak that I had right opposite of Yate's. It has similar menu as The Banker's Draft. It was the most scrumptious outside meal I had in Sheffield, steak + beer + drizzling + football match live in a pub, the incredible couple. 


When SHU announced that there will be a photo competition for the Summer students, I knew I will participate for sure! We have to post maximum 5 photos along with description of 100 words or below. First prize get an iPad Mini, so I thought wouldn't it be good and memorable if I get to win a gadget in the UK??!! I gave it a try, brainstormed for a week and below is the result! It was so hard to fit everything into 100 words when I have so many wonderful things to talk about! 



The second when the announcer mentioned the 2nd prize belongs to a poet, I immediately have a hunch that it is mine, and it is! No iPad Mini or any other gadget, but still it's something I'll never forget during my time in SHU! The winning entry:

Seven thousand miles away from home,
checking out Sheffield’s view and wholesome.
Saw a luxury car driver got off his ride,
to help push a broke down car aside.

Force, gears, shaft and ray,
are what we encounter everyday.
These are what mechanical engineers learn about,
and Sheffield Hallam University never fail to reach out!

Weekend trips to some cities in the country,
such as York, Manchester, Cambridge and Whitby.
We will never forget every memorable moment,
like being boggled listening to strong local accent!

There goes my iPad Mini :( Anyway, I received a wonderful (thick and heavy too) book which is all about the happiest city in the UK - Sheffield. Along with a cup, a mini teddy, a mouse pad and a couple of cup pads. 


Believe it or not, we had actually entered a gentlemen's club a.k.a. strip club! It was, well... a new experience where we only have to buy a beverage upon entrance with no entrance fee. The women will strip down and dance on a pole, trying to flaunt their stuff to seduce you to join her in a private room. No no, it's not what you think it is. The private room is just a dance room, where the guy will sit STILL on a chair while the woman will dance nakedly in front of him, with a guard standing by outside of the room just in case of any pervert guy try to force the woman to do something out of her will. Talk about art of seduction! Sheffield has became my land of exploration...

Taking a double decker bus to Meadowhall is a fresh experience. We seldom get to take a ride in a double decker bus in Malaysia, unless it's those long distance journey bus. After paying the fee at student discount rate, sitting high up, we can see clearly the scenery, industrial area of steel making factories should be precise, along the way to Meadowhall. Sheffield is indeed the steel city of the UK, where some of the finest steels are produced there. 

 Human will feel down or sorrow once in a while, even if there is nothing bad happened. When our period of stay in Sheffield is getting closer to the end, we can feel that everyone was reluctant to leave. Everyone gradually appreciate more of what we do while we are still there, appreciate the time that we have, appreciate the companions/friends who we spend time together, appreciate the view and cooling climate the UK have. Sitting in the kitchen with a view of the street below, looking at the passing cars in the middle of a drizzle with a cup of hot choco, and have flashbacks of my time in Sheffield... 

I was able to consume a tab of Ben n Jerry or Haagen Dazs ice cream in just a night, one NIGHT! I told my friends that I can eat a tab of ice cream when I'm feeling down, but actually I can in whatever mood I have! I always paid attention to promotion where I can get 2 tabs at around 3 to 4 Pounds. 1 tab in Malaysia already costs more than 4 Pounds!


DOTA is a game, an online game which many youngster are addicted to. Not good for studies, but good for friendship bonding. A game with friends can improve teamwork (if everyone is on the same page). We used to spend one or two hours almost every night in our hostel playing DOTA 2, fighting AI enemies in hard or advance level! Also, video calls with friends in another hostel were fun too!

Singing my heart out in the hostel room can be a stress release thing, but it isn't if your housemates or the rooms nearby are able to hear it! The hostel rooms aren't actually well soundproofed. Being teased by friends staying nearby is hilarious, sometimes they even join in the singing!

Watching rare automotive brands running on the streets of the UK can be interesting. Noticed many of the cars are equipped with start-stop technology when the cars sprinted off at a traffic light junction. Start-stop technology turn off the engine when it detects the car is stationary. This can improve the car's fuel consumption and gas emission, which will benefit the car owner's because the car's road tax is calculated based on the CO2 emission of the car.

I was shopping in Meadowhall and went to try out a shirt in the fitting room of Primark. A caucasian guy came out of the fitting store room and thus, I entered the vacant store. An iPhone 5, black in colour was spotted on the bench in the store, possibly left by the previous guy who was trying out some clothes. So without a second thought, I grabbed the phone and ran out as quickly as I can to catch up with the owner. His face of relieved made my day.

Finally, it's about can food. My friend brought a can of luncheon meat to Sheffield and we had the chance to saviour it near the end of our stay in Sheffield. I've asked my friends what kind of cutting (slices or cubes) would they prefer but they didn't answer me. So, I decided to cut the luncheon meat into cubes because I thought cube shape is better to go along fried noodles! In the end, my friends made fun of the incident and it's been a nightmare everytime my friends see a can food =_=

NEXT - Of homework and exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment